Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Laundromat is my church

My washer died 2 weeks ago. This is my second Sunday of going to the local laundromat early in the a.m. The upside of the laundromat: 5 loads of laundry in 1 hour versus all day laundry at home. Also, I was forced to relax during the drying time and actually read a book!

I desperately needed the downtime of sitting for one hour and reading as the week unfolded to some scary stuff. I have a "bruise" for a lack of a better word on my breast that hasn't gone away. Someone at work asked me if I knew what IBC was. I did not. Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Apparently you don't get a lump and this is one of the symptoms. So I left work early on Friday and went to see the doctor. The minute I arrived he was heading out for an emergency at the hospital. So I had to wait until Saturday morning to get to see him.

Meanwhile, between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, as I convinced myself that I had an aggressive form of cancer, I planned my finances in my head and made provisions for my daughter's future. The mind is a tricky thing.

My doc wasn't too concerned as he said that IBC is a rare cancer. I'm already scheduled for a mammography in December and he didn't feel the urge to move the appointment up.

So I didn't really feel any better as he added the disclaimer that "he could be wrong" because "his wife tells him he's wrong all the time." I left the medical center and went to the gas station. I was so distracted that I didn't replace my gas cap after filling up and drove off. I noticed almost immediately but couldn't find my gas cap when I retraced my steps.

This drove me nuts because I don't lose things, I don't hit things with my car, etc. - you see the point - and I couldn't believe I allowed myself to become unglued enough to lose a silly little gas cap.

My stress level, which I internalize as you'll see in my "100 Things About Me", was enough that all the muscles in my neck and shoulders are screaming with tightness. I thought a good night's rest would fix that but carrying the heavy loads of laundry didn't help.

I need a massage! And I need about a month off from work to regroup.

3 Comments:

At November 12, 2006 10:39 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

No offense...but your doc sounds like a moron. From what I read, IBC cannot be detected in a mammogram. I dunno....if I were that scared, and my doctor told me THAT...I would be looking for a new one....quickly!!

 
At November 12, 2006 11:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inflammatory Breast Cancer is nothing to fool around with. If you feel that you may have IBC call the best cancer group in your area and be seen ASAP. Hopefully they will tell you you were over reacting. I agree with chelle the other doctor is a moron. Good Luck.

 
At November 14, 2006 2:23 PM , Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Sheesh, I agree with Chelle! Time for a second opinion, big time!

I loved your 100 things list. I really should do one of those.

Good luck, honey.
Always,
Jas...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home