Monday, September 08, 2008

Life happens

I'd like to catch up on reading blogs and replying to people but I'm having serious computer issues at home. I'm not able to get on at all but hopefully by Wednesday I'll have everything up and running.

I've been researching and if I have to buy a new computer I'm buying an iMac! I fell in love in the Apple store on the weekend.

Dad is doing okay. We've had a lot of ups and downs these past 10 days but we're trying and trying again.

There are incredibly sad moments. I have such admiration for him throughout this ordeal. A lot has been thrown his way. My mother too, has had so much to deal with, some of it extremely difficult but we're taking care of everything as it comes our way.

My mom is with dad every single day from Noon to 6:30 p.m. If visting hours were earlier on this unit, she'd be there longer. When he was in ICU at the hospital, she was there from the time I dropped her off every morning at 7:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. When there were tough days, she slept there overnight right by his side to help him through the night.

My sister and I are there every day visiting. It's not too often that we miss a day. It's important to be there to support mom. She's his advocate, she's his physical therapist, she's his encouragement, she's his aide and/or respiratory therapist when one is not readily available.

All days are not sad. But last week was tough.

Imagine yourself in a bed for 5 months and you feel pretty good with the exception that you're on a ventilator to breathe and your body won't allow you to be off that vent for more than 7 days without having to get placed back on the vent. You haven't had anything to eat or drink in those 5 months. You're unable to have physical therapy to walk and move around because it exhausts your body and every ounce of energy is being reserved for a successful outcome in getting off that vent.

We were so close 10 days ago and he ended up back on the vent. It's difficult but you have to stay positive. I think we all go off into our corners and have our meltdowns in private so as not to upset one another.

Mom takes the brunt. My sister and I still get to have a life outside of all of that and go to work and have recreation time. Mom does not.

I refuse to feel defeated. It's not how I was raised by these parents of mine who every day face struggle and who keep pushing forward.

2 Comments:

At September 09, 2008 12:31 AM , Blogger D. Prince said...

You will not regret your iMac purchase. I was so sick of having to replace a computer every coulple of years. I've had mine for 5 years now and haven't had ONE problem with it.

Your Dad is in my thoughts.

 
At September 10, 2008 10:22 AM , Blogger Chickie said...

I can't imagine how stressful the whole thing is for your family.

I got my iMac in June and finally got it figured out and am loving it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home